Hello friends! Today we are making Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette! Also make sure to watch the video to see how I made these vegan galettes.
This incredible Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette was enjoyed with ice cream, and without, until the last little flaky bite!
Guys, you need to check out the recipe for the dough! I thought I was going to miss the butter in my pie crust, but the coconut oil made a super impressive crust!! Super flaky, absolutely delicious! And no need for dairy!
Tips for making Vegan Galette
- To make the vegan pie crust, make sure that the coconut oil is solid. To do that, simply place it in the fridge for a while until completely chilled.
- Cut the coconut oil into small pieces before adding to the flour.
- If you don’t want to use a food processor to make the vegan pie dough, you can use a fork to help incorporate the flour and coconut oil.
- Make sure not to overmix the vegan pie crust, because you don’t want to develop a lot of gluten, you want the crust to be light and flaky.
- Place galettes in the fridge or freezer, to solidify the fat, before baking.
- You can organize the strawberry and rhubarb in a nice pattern like I tried to do in the video, or simply dump all ingredients for the filling right in the middle of the rolled out dough. Your choice.
- Brush some non-dairy milk on the crust before baking, which will help a bit with the browning of the crust.
How much do you love the combo Strawberry Rhubarb? It’s a favorite in my house. Every year, I ask my husband what kind of cake he wants for his birthday. And he always replies: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.
I answer: that’s not cake. And by the end of August, it’s kind of difficult to find rhubarb around here anyway.
Which is why I try to make him as much strawberry rhubarb desserts as I can while rhubarb season lasts.
What is your favorite way to enjoy Rhubarb during this wonderful and short season?
Galettes are so easy to make, because you don’t have to be too concerned with how they look, since it’s their nature to be rustic.
This vegan pie crust can be your new go-to, even if you aren’t necessarily a vegan, because you will honestly be blown away by how flaky it is!
You can make two medium size galettes with this recipe, or a huge one, I don’t like making such big galettes, because they are easier to manage when they are smaller.
I also recommend assembling the galette on top of your baking mat, or parchment paper, to make it easy to transport the galette to the baking sheet.
If you like this Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette recipe, I invite you to check out some more of my vegan recipes here.
Here are some Summer Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- Funfetti Vegan Ice cream Sandwiches
- Beet Crystal Mini Cheesecakes
- Almond Blueberry Vegan Cheesecake
- Fig and Pistachio Vegan Cheesecake
- Vegan Cannoli
- Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake
- Vegan Cookie Cups with Peaches and Raspberry
- Mango Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Matcha Smoothie
- Vegan Peanut Butter Tarts
- No bake Vegan Matcha Cheesecake
Thank you for stopping by! Have a fabulous day! I hope you enjoyed the Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette!
This page contains affiliate links. Which means that every time you make a purchase of an item you clicked through my website, I receive a percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you, but helps my blog! Thanks!
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
This is a recipe for a delicious Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette. With the best crust ever! So flaky and light!
Vegan Pie Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil chilled and solid
- 5-7 tablespoons cold water
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 3 cups rhubarb sliced into 1/2” pieces
- 3 cups strawberries quartered
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom optional, you can use cinnamon too if you desire
- A few tablespoons of non-dairy milk
Vegan Pie Crust
Make sure the coconut oil is chilled before you start, very cold, in solid state.
Place flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor.
Dice coconut oil.
Add coconut oil to the food processor.
Process for a few seconds, until the coconut oil and flour are mixed and the mixture resembles cornmeal.
Add water and process a few more times until combined.
Transfer dough to the counter. Use your hands or a spatula to combine the dough completely.
Cut dough in half and place one half on top of the other. Keep doing this until you obtain a smooth dough, taking care not to overwork.
Divide dough in half, wrap each half in a piece of plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for a few hours so the flour in the dough gets fully hydrated.
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
Remove dough from the fridge before making the filling, this way the coconut oil in the dough will have soften enough so it will be easy to manage the dough.
Mix all ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
Roll out each piece of dough until they are 1/4” thick. You can also cut the edges of the dough so you have an even circle.
Place the filling in the middle.
Fold the edges over the filling.
Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Place the assembled galettes in the freezer right before baking, while the oven pre-heats. So this way the fat in the dough will be solid and won’t start to melt as soon as it enters the oven.
Brush a bit of non-dairy milk on the crust before baking.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.