I am super excited about today’s recipe! Have you ever heard about Brigadeiros? They are Brazilian treats present at every birthday party! Today we are making Vegan Brigadeiros.
I made Vegan Brigadeiros and topped this Vegan German Chocolate Cake with them!
What are brigadeiros?
Brigadeiros are basically a chocolate fudge ball, or truffle if you will, coated in sprinkles, placed in small liners, displayed at birthday party tables. They are tremendously popular in Brazil. And since I am Brazilian, I am completely devoted to brigadeiros.
And I am so happy I have found a delicious vegan recipe for these chocolate truffles I love so much.
The best part about brigadeiros, is that you can make them into any flavors. You can remove the chocolate and add, say coconut instead, and coat the truffles in shredded coconut.
The options for flavors are so many. Strawberry, peanut butter, almond, and so on.
I rolled my vegan brigadeiros in Dairy Free Jimmies. You can roll your vegan truffles in any kind of topping you’d like: chopped nuts, sprinkles, cacao nibs, shredded coconut. Get creative.
This is such an easy vegan treat recipe!! You will literally spend 5 minutes making this, and then another 10 rolling the fudge balls once they cool down.
The trick to finding the perfect consistency to roll your vegan brigadeiros, is to let the brigadeiros come to room temperature on the counter. Then, place them in the fridge for 10-20 minutes, and they should be in the perfect consistency to roll.
Be mindful that this will vary depending on the temperature of your kitchen. So you might need a bit more or less time in the fridge, or no time at all.
Try to roll a truffle between your hands to see if it the consistency is right. If the brigadeiro is too cold, it will be too stiff to roll. If it’s too soft, it won’t form a ball.
Coat it in sprinkles after rolling between your hands. Place in a paper liner.
Brigadeiros are typically made with condensed milk. Which is why the first time I tried to make brigadeiros, I used vegan condensed milk. The results weren’t the best in my opinion, so I just kept searching.
And then, when I wasn’t even expecting, I ended up stumbling upon a recipe that would be perfect. If I just tweaked my vegan caramel recipe, I could create the closest thing to brigadeiros! And it worked! Which is why I am so pumped.
These are recipes where I use my vegan caramel mentioned above:
- Hazelnut Vegan Tarts
- Vegan Brownies with Caramel Sauce
- Fig and Pistachio Vegan Cheesecake
- Vegan Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
As you can see these vegan brigadeiros are the perfect vegan treat for any occasion. Either if you are throwing a party, bringing a treat over to someone, or it’s Tuesday night and you’re feeling like a chocolate treat is in order!
These Vegan Truffles are also paleo, gluten-free, refined sugar free. They are made out of the very best!
They are incredibly fudgy and delicious. If you are looking for a delicious chocolate vegan treat, this is the recipe for you!
I have also a ton of other vegan dessert recipes for you to check out.
- Vegan Cookie Sandwiches
- Hazelnut Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Mousse Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Vegan Truffles
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Vegan Cupcakes
Or click HERE to see them all!
If you are looking for what to bring to a vegan party, or a treat to bring somewhere that even non-vegans will love and enjoy, look no further! These vegan brigadeiros are just for you!
A few other tips about how to make these Vegan Brigadeiros:
- You must use coconut butter. Do not use coconut oil.
- Cashew butter is the best to use, in my opinion. Because it has a mild taste.
- Don’t let the mixture come to a full boil. Simply melt the ingredients together.
- Take a look in the recipe, and above in the post for tips of other toppings to coat your truffles in.
Vegan Brigadeiros (vegan chocolate truffles)
Brigadeiros are a Brazilian treat present at every birthday party. This is a vegan and paleo version of those delicious treats. Think of them as vegan chocolate truffles.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons nut butter I use cashew butter
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan, over medium heat. Stir constantly while the mixture heats up. You are going to bring it to almost a boil, but not quite.
- As soon as all ingredients are melted, and mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and pour in a heat proof bowl.
- Let mixture rest at room temperature until completely cooled down.
- Put it in the fridge for about 10-20 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop balls and roll them in sprinkles, chopped nuts, seeds, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, or any other topping you can think of.
- This process of letting it come to room temperature and then chilling the brigadeiro for 10-20 minutes will ensure the optimal texture for rolling. If your brigadeiro is too cold, it will be too stiff to be rolled. If it’s too warm, it will be too soft. You need to get it to be just the right consistency, so you may have to chill it a bit longer, depending on how hot your kitchen is.
- These will store really well in the fridge for up to 8 days.
- You can freeze them for up to 1 month, very well packaged, let it thaw in the fridge.