This delicious Pumpkin Bread Recipe is so easy to make. Loaded with chocolate chips, topped with crumble topping and Cream Cheese Glaze.
I will show you step-by-step how to make this fluffy and moist Pumpkin Bread. It tastes so good, and the texture is amazing, so you won’t be able to have just one slice.
Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
I’ve tried a few different methods and recipes before I arrived to the best pumpkin bread recipe. And I will show you how to make it. All the ingredients are at the bottom of the page.
This quick bread is taken to the next level by the addition of streusel topping, and the delicious tangy cream cheese glaze that compliments the warm spices so well.
Start by making the crumble topping for the bread.
The crumble topping is made by mixing the flour, sugars, spices, and butter in a bowl. The butter should be at room temperature.
Once you obtain a crumbly mixture, add the bowl to the fridge while you prepare the batter for the bread.
Pumpkin Bread Batter
To make the bread batter, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon together. Set it aside.
Now mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs and the sugar and mix with an electric mixer.
Add the pumpkin puree, the oil, and the vanilla and mix. Make sure to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix for this recipe. You will need a 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree.
Add the flour mixture to the bowl. Mix on low to combine. Make sure not to over mix the batter once you add the flour ingredients in.
Once the batter is almost entirely incorporated, add the chocolate chips, mix to combine.
Pour the batter on a prepared 9×5″ pan greased and lined with parchment.
Top with the crumble mixture, and bake the bread in the oven for about 1 hour until done. Start checking at the 55 minute mark, by inserting a toothpick or a cake tester in the bread, and once it comes out clean, you can remove the bread from the oven.
Cream Cheese Glaze
Once the bread cools down, make the glaze to drizzle on top.
To make the glaze, simply beat the cream cheese and butter together. Add the powdered sugar, the milk, and vanilla, and mix to combine.
You can add more powdered sugar to make the glaze thicker, or add more milk to make it more runny.
Another option is to add about 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice to the glaze.
Drizzle the glaze over the bread before slicing and serving.
You can store the cake without the drizzle in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. And the glazed cake should be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the cake slices. To freeze the cake slices, place each slice in a freezer bag. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. This way you will have them ready for an easy snack at any time. You can just reheat the slices wrapped in foil in the 350ºF oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through. Or you can let them thaw in the fridge overnight.
Variations of Pumpkin Bread
You can change up this bread recipe in many ways. Here are some ideas of what you can do:
- Add nuts to the bread, such as chopped walnuts or chopped pecans. You can add 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts to the crumble topping as well. To the batter, add up to 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.
- If you like raisins, you can also add up to 1/3 cup of raisins to the batter.
- Leave the chocolate chips out, and or add white chocolate chips instead.
- You can also do a melted white chocolate drizzle on top of the bread in place of the glaze.
- Another option for topping the bread is pepitas, or roasted pumpkin seeds and chopped nuts.
- You can use this recipe to make pumpkin muffins, by pouring the batter in cupcake liners and baking them. The streusel topping can be divided between the muffins, and you can drizzle the glaze on top of each muffin once they are done baking. Baking time for the muffins will be different, they will need from 15 to 20 minutes of baking time.
You can serve this pumpkin bread for breakfast, brunch, dessert time, or just for afternoon tea time.
I love to eat a slice with some honey butter spread on top, it’s so delicious!
This bread is so delicious with a latte, or a cup of coffee.
If you like this Pumpkin Bread Recipe, here are some more recipes you might like:
- Peach Cobbler Cake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Crumb Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Apple Blondies
- Pumpkin Pasties
- Dulce de Leche Apple Cake
- Pumpkin Tiramisu
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 63 grams
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar 60 ml
- 3 tbsp white granulated sugar 37.5 grams
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened (56 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 191 grams
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar 150 grams
- 3/4 cup brown sugar 165 grams
- 15 oz pumpkin puree about 1 2/3 cup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil 120 ml
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips 75 grams
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 tbsp cream cheese softened (30 grams)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened (28 grams)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the flour, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes, add it to the flour and sugar. Use a fork to mix the butter and the flour/sugar until a crumbly mixture forms. All the butter should be incorporated with the dry ingredients.
- Place it in the fridge while you make the batter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf baking pan. Line it with parchment paper, and grease the parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon together. Set it aside.
- Add the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl or to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture is well incorporated and lightened in color.
- Add the pumpkin puree, oil, and vanilla to the bowl and mix to combine with the mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl, and mix on low to combine, until almost entirely incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and finish mixing with a spatula to combine.
- Once the batter is smooth, pour it in the loaf pan.
- Top the batter with the crumble mixture. Sprinkle it evenly on top.
- Bake it in the oven for about 60 minutes. It can take even up to 70 minutes depending on the oven.
- Check the cake first at the 50 minute mark, insert a toothpick in the cake and make sure it comes out with no crumbs or wet batter. Continue to bake and check every 5 to 10 minutes.
- If the bread is browning too much but not baking on the inside, cover it with aluminum foil, to ensure the inside of the bread is baking through.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Let it cool down for at least 20 to 30 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Once the bread is cool, you can make the glaze.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- To make the glaze, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer at medium-low speed.
- Add the powdered sugar, the milk, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on low to incorporate.
- If the glaze is not thick enough, add a bit more powdered sugar. And if the glaze is too thick, add a bit more milk, just 1/2 tsp at a time, while you mix, until the perfect consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle the glaze over the pumpkin bread. You can use a piping bag, or a spoon, or a spouted cup. Slice and serve.
- The bread can be stored at room temperature without the glaze, for up to 3 days.
- Store the glazed bread in the fridge for 4-5 days. Let it come to room temperature before serving from the fridge.
- You can also freeze the cake slices. To freeze the cake slices, place each slice in a freezer bag. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months. This way you will have them ready for an easy snack at any time. You can just reheat the slices wrapped in foil in the 350ºF oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through. Or you can let them thaw in the fridge overnight.