Hello friends! Today I am showing you this super easy recipe for Nutella Frosting!
This is one of my favorite frostings, and it can be used on cakes, cupcakes, cookies, macarons, what have you!
This recipe for Nutella frosting makes enough to cover a 6″ 3-layer cake, a 8″ 2-layer cake, or 24 cupcakes.
Let’s begin with the cream cheese and butter.
You can use just butter if you wish, however I don’t recommend using just cream cheese for this recipe.
The cream cheese won’t be sturdy enough to frost cakes, unless you only want to spread the frosting on top of the cake, without needing it to be firm and hold in place.
Cream the butter and the cream cheese together for 3 to 4 minutes, until fluffy.
Make sure that the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature, not too cold, but not warm either. The butter should be firm, but softened.
If the butter and cream cheese are too soft, you will have problems. The frosting will be too thin and runny.
To troubleshoot that, you can place the frosting in the fridge for a few minutes and then try to cream it back again, but I really recommend starting with the ingredients at the optimal temperature, which is softened but not warm.
Add that marvelous Nutella to the bowl, and cream again, until combined and creamy.
Time to add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. It’s best to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder before adding them so you don’t end up with a lumpy frosting.
Mix the dry ingredients on low, until combined. And then add the vanilla and cream on medium high until incorporated.
And ta-da! You will end up with a luscious, shiny, delicious looking frosting!
If the frosting is too runny, add more sifted powdered sugar to adjust consistency, or insert the bowl of frosting in the fridge for a few minutes, if the case is that the butter and cream cheese were too soft.
And if the frosting is too stiff, add a teaspoon or so of water or milk to thin out the frosting, and mix in between before adding more liquid.
Here are some suggestions on how to use this frosting. The following cakes and cupcakes can totally be frosted with this Nutella Frosting.
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake
- Walnut Chocolate Cake
- Dulce de Leche Chocolate Cake
- S’mores Cake
Or you can use any of my Chocolate Cupcakes such as this one (Click here to see the recipe for Alfajores Cupcakes), and top with the Nutella Frosting.
And here are some more Nutella recipes:
If you make this recipe please tag me on instagram, I love to see your creations! Thanks for reading my blog!
Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup cream cheese softened 226 grams, 8 oz
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature 113 grams, 4 oz
- 2/3 cup Nutella 176 grams, 6.2 oz
- 3 cups powdered sugar 375 grams, 9.7 oz
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder 31 grams, 1 oz
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Cream at medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until very fluffy and light in color. Scrape the bowl in between.
- Add Nutella and cream for another minute.
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- With the mixer off, add sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder to the bowl.
- Mix on low until incorporated.
- Raise speed to medium-high and cream for 1 minute until creamy.
- If you notice the frosting is too runny, add a bit more sifted powdered sugar to firm it up. And if you notice the frosting is too stiff, add a teaspoon of milk or water at a time until the frosting becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Store this frosting in the fridge, covered. If you want to use it on the next day, let it sit at room temperature for about 1 hour until it softens up, and then cream it until fluffy, for 1 or 2 minutes.
You can use all butter instead of cream cheese in this frosting if you prefer.