Hello friends! Today we will make Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies. These cookies are soft and fluffy, in just a few steps you can have these delicious cookies ready to be enjoyed. This is a perfect recipe to make with kids because it’s so easy and fun.
This post is sponsored by Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, all opinions are my own.
For the cookie dough you will only need 4 ingredients: unsalted butter, Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, self-rising flour, and cocoa powder.
The flour must be self-rising or the cookies won’t work out.
The Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie dough comes together easily in just a few minutes. Start by beating the softened butter with a mixer just for a couple of minutes.
Then add the Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix to combine.
After the sweetened condensed milk and the butter have incorporated together, add the flour and cocoa powder and stir. You can stir with the mixer, but at the end I like to stir by hand so we don’t over mix the dough.
It’s also important to note that if the cocoa powder is too lumpy, you might want to sift it prior to adding it to the recipe, or you will end up with a cookie dough that’s full of cocoa lumps.
Once the dough comes together, scoop it into balls and chill for 10 minutes. You can also chill the dough overnight, so this can easily be made a day ahead, or if you have leftover cookies and don’t want to bake them all in one day, you can leave them for the next day.
The unbaked cookie dough can also be frozen, so just scoop it and place it in the freezer for an hour or so, and once the dough is solid, place the cookies in a ziploc bag and keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
After the dough has chilled for 10 minutes, remove it from the fridge, and use a teaspoon to make a dent in the center of the cookie balls.
Fill the center with the filling of choice. I used Dulce de Leche made out of sweetened condensed milk, you can also use jams, preserves, Nutella, Biscoff, or any other fillings that come to mind.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 17 minutes. The cookies should be set around the edges, but if you try to touch one, it will still be pretty soft. It will continue to bake and firm up as you let it sit and cool down, so don’t over bake it.
After the cookies had cooled down, I drizzled some melted chocolate on top and sprinkled with sea salt.
To do that, simply microwave about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips for 15 seconds intervals until melted, stirring in between, then place the chocolate in a piping bag and snip the end off with scissors. Drizzle the chocolate over the baked and cooled down cookies and then sprinkle salt on top.
Other topping options are: dusting of powdered sugar, or a quick icing glaze. To make a icing glaze simply mix powdered sugar and a tiny bit of liquid (water or milk) until it forms a liquid, but thick paste, it shouldn’t be as runny as water, it should have a thick consistency such as sweetened condensed milk consistency. Then drizzle this glaze over the cookies. The sugar glaze goes wonderful with jam filled cookies!
You can also drizzle the cookies with more Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk too, because sweetened condensed milk is amazing when baked into desserts, but also it’s pretty delicious on its own.
These Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are super soft and fluffy, they are easy to make, and will become a family favorite.
I am always looking for wonderful desserts to make with Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk because it is one of my favorite ingredients in the world by far! I like to add it to buttercream (Russian Buttercream), to fudge (brigadeiros), to cheesecakes, and much more. Here are some more recipes made with Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk that you might enjoy, I have too many on the blog to list them all, so here is just a taste:
- Chocolate Cupcakes With Sweetened Condensed Milk Frosting
- Lemon Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
- Raspberry Ice Cream Sandwich
- Blueberry Slushie
- No-Bake White Chocolate Cheesecake
- Raspberry Coconut Cake
- Walnut Chocolate Cake
- Pumpkin Chocoflan
And many, many more, because the love for sweetened condensed milk runs deep here!
If you make this recipe tag me on instagram, or leave a comment below, I always love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!
Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened (254 grams)
- 1 can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk 396 grams
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour 287 grams
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 43 grams
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Make the dough by beating the butter for 2 minutes, then add the Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until incorporated. If the cocoa powder is too lumpy, it’s best to sift it before adding so you don’t end up with a lot of lumps in the dough.
- Scoop the cookies into balls, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and chill for 10 minutes, you can also chill overnight covered in the fridge.
- Use a teaspoon to form a dent in the center of the cookies, and fill the center with the filling of choice, you can use jam, dulce de leche, caramel, Nutella, or whatever you desire. I used dulce de leche in mine.
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 17 minutes in the 350ºF pre-heated oven until the edges of the cookie look set. The cookies might look and feel too soft, but they will firm up as they cool down.
- I also drizzled melted chocolate and sprinkled salt on top of my cookies. To do that, simply microwave about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips for 15 seconds intervals until melted, stirring in between, then place the chocolate in a piping bag and snip the end off with scissors. Drizzle the chocolate over the baked and cooled down cookies and then sprinkle salt on top.
- Store the cookies at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 2 days.