Hello amigos! Today we are making a recipe that’s very dear to me! Dulce de Leche Cookies, which are buttery shortbread thumbprint cookies filled with dulce de leche! They are easy, and I have included a video showing you exactly how to make them!
As holiday season approaches, I have started my cookie baking! I have a few cookies (and Macarons) planned for the next few weeks.
These Dulce de Leche Cookies were a real treat in my life in the past couple of days! I made two batches, so I could record the video which can be found on this page and on my Youtube channel. (if you are there, make sure to subscribe 😉)
Anyway, the recipe is really easy! I have some pictures here to show you how to make it also, if you don’t watch the video, you can always refer to these pics also!
How to make Dulce de Leche Cookies
Let’s see how to make this delicious buttery, soft, crumbly, chewy shortbread cookie dough for our thumbprint cookies!
- Cream softened butter for 2 minutes until fluffy and light in color.
- Add powdered sugar and cream for another minute.
- Now add egg yolks, one at a time, and cream the mixture until incorporated. Wait for one yolk to incorporate before adding the next one.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Then, add the salt.
- Finally add the flour, and mix the dough with a spatula to bring it together.
Once the dough is ready, you are going to form the cookies.
- Scoop some cookie dough with a cookie scoop.
- Roll between your hands to make a smooth ball.
- Now roll the cookie ball in sugar to coat it with. (I used golden sugar, you can use simply granulated sugar too)
If you were wondering how to make thumbprint cookies, here you go! You don’t exactly need to use your thumb!
Place the cookie ball on a baking sheet, and use the back of a 1/2 teaspoon, or 1/4 teaspoon to make an indentation on the cookie, which is where you will put the dulce de leche.
I say a 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon because it depends on how big you rolled your cookies.
Repeat with all the cookies. And place the tray in the fridge or freezer. The reason for that is to make the butter in the cookie dough cold before it enters the oven, which helps the cookie keep a nice structure and shape as it bakes.
Before baking the cookies, pipe some dulce de leche in the middle of the cookies, or use a spoon to put some dulce de leche in the center. The piping bag helps keep a neater look.
Bake the cookies and then voila! Try to be patient and wait for it to cool down before eating!
You may also sprinkle some sea salt on top of the cookies once they are baked! These Dulce de Leche cookies were seriously so popular! Probably because of their crumbly and soft texture, the melt-in-your-mouth buttery cookie, filled with the creamy and rich dulce de leche!
Speaking of Dulce de Leche, you can use store-bought or make your own. Making your own is very easy, and there are some ways to go about it. The way I indicate in the recipe down below is the pressure cooker method. But there are other ways to go about it.
How to make Homemade Dulce de Leche
Simply start with a can of condensed milk. Now, there are some options here.
- Making dulce de leche in the oven– Pour the inside of the condensed milk can in an oven-proof pan, and bake over a water bath for about 2-3 hours, stirring in between, covered with foil, at 350F.
- Making dulce de leche on the stove top– there are two ways to make dulce de leche on the stove top with a sealed can of condensed milk.
- First is to use a pressure cooker, which is the fastest way. Place sealed can in a pressure cooker full of water, covering the can by at least 2 inches. Cook under pressure for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally and let can and water both cool down all the way before removing and opening the can.
- If you just want to use a regular pot, make sure it’s a large pot of water, where the can will be submerged the whole time. Boil sealed can for about 2 1/2 hours. Let can and water cool down all the way before removing and opening the can.
Regardless of the method you choose to make your dulce de leche, make sure to always let it cool down before handling it. And leave it in the fridge for a few hours before piping so dulce de leche will be cold and have proper texture.
Here are some more Dulce de Leche recipes you may like!
- Dulce de Leche Cake
- Dulce de Leche Bars
- Dulce de Leche Macarons
- Dulce de Leche Donuts
- Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
- Alfajor Cupcakes
- Chocolate and Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Pie
- Dulce de Leche Snickerdoodles
- Dulce de Leche Pecan Macarons
Can you tell I love Dulce de Leche?
If you make this recipe, or any of my recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
I hope you give this recipe a try, just check out that texture! and that creamy Dulce de Leche. Heaven on Earth! Perfect for cookie exchange, cookie baking season, or simply because you’re awesome and like to make cookies to share with your friends and family, who by the way, will totally love you to pieces for this one!
Thanks for reading my blog! I hope you have a very lovely day! Rate this recipe if you make it, and let me know in the comments what you think! Much love and peace to all!
If you don’t want to make Dulce de Leche, I recommend this really amazing most delicious Dulce de Leche in the whole world for you to try. It’s Argentinian and my absolute favorite!
Dulce de Leche Cookies
Buttery Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter soft (226 grams, 8 oz)
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar 113.5 grams, 4 oz
- 2 yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 318.9 grams, 11.25 oz
For rolling cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 14 oz. can condensed milk or 1/2 cup store-bought Dulce de Leche
Buttery Thumbprint Cookies
- Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cream for 2 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and cream for another minute.
- Now, add yolks, one at a time, waiting for one yolk to incorporate before adding the next one.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Then, add the salt and flour to the mixture and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Use a cookie scoop to form balls with the cookie dough.
- Roll the ball between your hands to smooth it out.
- Then, roll the dough ball in the granulated sugar.
- Place it on top of a baking sheet.
- Use the back of a 1/2 teaspoon to create an indentation on top of each cookie ball, depending on how big you scooped your balls, you might want to use a 1/4 teaspoon, if your cookie balls are smaller.
- Place cookie tray in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes so the butter in the cookies can harden up and get solid before you bake.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Pipe some dulce de Leche on the center of each cookie, or use a spoon to scoop some dulce de Leche in the center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until slightly browned on the edges.
- Let cookies cool down before serving.
Dulce de leche filling
- You can use pre-made dulce de leche, or make it at home. To make dulce de leche at home, you take many different approaches. Check the post above to read 3 different approaches on how to make dulce de leche from a can of condensed milk.
- My favorite way to make dulce de leche starts with an unopened can of condensed milk. Place sealed can in a pressure cooker with enough water to cover it plus at least 2 inches.
- Then, bring the water to a boil and cook under pressure for 30 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally and let can and water cool down all the way before removing and opening the can.
- When you open the can, it will be a thick darkened caramel inside.
- Place contents in a container and put it in the fridge until cold and firm.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Let cookies slightly come to room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- After piping the cookie balls, place tray in the freezer for 2 hours. Once cookies are completely frozen, you can place them in a freezer bag or container safely, because they won’t stick together.
- To bake, remove each frozen cookie and place them on the baking sheet, pipe dulce de Leche in the center, bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes.