Hello friends! Today I am going to show you one more Vegan Treat that went into my Christmas Vegan Cookie Box! Vegan Caramel Popcorn!
They are super easy to make, crispy, buttery, and completely melt in your mouth!
This Vegan Caramel Popcorn is the easiest thing to make, and super delicious! It’s an indulgent treat, perfect for the holiday season, or to make over the weekend, to enjoy watching movies.
I have also a video to show you how to make this Vegan Caramel Popcorn. So make sure to watch it and you’ll see how easy this recipe is. (coming next week)
And let’s all agree on how perfect this Vegan Caramel Popcorn is for gifting!
Looking for the perfect vegan food homemade gift? Look no further, because you found it!
This Vegan Caramel Popcorn will last for up to 1 week at room temperature, it’s perfect to be put in little jars, or bags, and gifted to school teachers, friends, family, or of course, to be included in your holiday cookie box!
Let’s talk about this Vegan Caramel Popcorn Recipe and how you can easily make this at home!
How to make Vegan Caramel Popcorn
First, start with some popcorn, of course. You can use microwaved popcorn if you want to, but it’s really easy to just pop microwave in a pot on the stove, if you don’t have an air popper!
To make popcorn on the stove top, use a large pan, preferably with a heavy bottom, so your popcorn doesn’t burn.
I give great directions below on how to do this at home. My dad always made popcorn like this at home, and it’s a favorite of mine. He never made it sweet though, he always made it salty, which is also great, but today we are talking about sweet delicious Caramel Popcorn, right?
After making the popcorn, you can make the caramel sauce.
This Vegan Caramel Sauce for the caramel corn takes a couple of ingredients that might have you question why? Baking soda, and cream of tartar!
Why use cream of tartar and baking soda in caramel popcorn?
The cream of tartar will prevent crystallization of the caramel as it cooks.
And the baking soda will react with the brown sugar, making so that the caramel isn’t hard as it cools down after you bake the popcorn. It will provide a delicious crispy texture to the caramel.
Like I said, this Vegan Caramel Popcorn was part of my Vegan Holiday Cookie Box. And here are the other treats that went into the box:
- Vegan White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Madeleines
- Vegan Gingerbread Cookies with Fudge Filling
- Vegan Almond Tahini Truffles
- Vegan Pecan Cookies (recipe coming soon)
For more Vegan Treats and Cookies click here.
Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you make this recipe tag me on instagram!! Have a beautiful day!
Vegan Caramel Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels 6-8 cups popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
To make the popcorn
- Place oil in a large pot, along with 2 popcorn kernels.
- Then place the pot over medium high heat.
- Wait a few minutes for the oil to heat.
- Once the popcorn kernels pop, pour the 1/3 cup of kernels in.
- Give the pan a little shake to distribute the kernels on the bottom.
- Place it back over the heat, and let the kernels pop.
- Every once in a while give the pan a slight wiggle so the kernels get cooked evenly.
- Open the lid of the pan slightly to let some steam scape after a minute or so.
- Leave the pan over the heat until you only hear one pop every few seconds. When that happens and the pop slows down completely, the popcorn might be done popping. Remove it from the heat.
- Pour the popcorn onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 215ºF and make the caramel sauce.
- In a small saucepan, place butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- The sugar will melt, and the caramel will start to thicken. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in baking soda.
- The mixture will get light in color and foamy.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour caramel sauce over popcorn. Stir until the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the popcorn is crispy and the caramel is dry.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to 1 week.