Hello dear friends! This is a very easy recipe for Vegan Caramel Sauce that only takes 3 ingredients (4 if you want to make it salted)! Check the video on this page to see how I made this easy recipe!
The ingredients to make this Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce are:
- White sugar (make sure to use organic for vegan)
- Coconut oil
- Coconut cream
Important question: Is this sauce going to taste like Coconut?
The answer is NO, especially if you use refined coconut oil! I promise you! Give it a shot! It will taste like heavenly caramel, that’s it! People won’t even be able to tell it’s vegan! My husband was clueless that it had anything coconut in this, and that it was vegan!
How to make Vegan Caramel Sauce?
Start by placing the sugar in a saucepan, over medium heat.
Keep stirring constantly, as the sugar melts. Make sure to stir so the caramel melts evenly.
Once most of the sugar is melted, pay really close attention. This part is important because you don’t want the sugar to cook too much, or it becomes bitter. It takes one millisecond for the sugar to burn and become bitter, especially depending on how high the heat is.
Notice on the picture below how the sugar is almost entirely melted. As soon as that final little sugar lump is melted, you are going to add the coconut oil and coconut cream to the pan.
Now, this is VERY important!
So, when the final little sugar lump has melted, quickly remove the pan from the heat or lower the heat all the way. And then add the coconut oil, and coconut cream.
When you add the coconut oil and coconut cream to the pan, the mixture is going to bubble up and splatter all over the place.
It helps to use a larger pan, and also, be aware of your hands and arms. Move quickly, use a spoon with a long handle, pay attention and be careful.
Once the bubbling has subsided, return the pan to the heat, or if you turned the heat off, turn it back on to medium.
Some of the sugar may have crystallized with the addition of the oil and cream. Stir mixture over the heat, bring it back to a gentle simmer. And cook until all the crystallized sugar has melted, and the caramel is thicker and smooth. This should take 1 or 2 minutes.
To make this a Salted Vegan Caramel, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or more to taste, to the sauce at this point, and stir. If not, simply remove caramel sauce to a heat-proof bowl.
Let sauce cool down all the way. It will become thick and perfect!
Store sauce in the fridge for up to 20 days. Whenever you want to use it, gently re-heat it on the microwave.
Pour it over ice cream, use it on recipes, make frosting, make cookies, cupcakes, use it to fill cakes. And of course, invite me to enjoy it with you! 😉
Make sure to watch the video on this page that shows you how to make this sauce!
Here are some more Vegan recipes with caramel:
- Vegan Cookie Sandwiches
- Fig Pistachio Vegan Cheesecake
- Vegan Brownies with Caramel Sauce
- Vegan Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Vegan Salted Caramel Macarons
- Vegan Banana Caramel Cake
- Vegan Caramel Buttercream
And click here to see more Vegan Sweets.
Thanks for reading my blog! Tag me on Instagram @piesandtacos if you make this recipe! Really makes my day!! I appreciate all the love and support I get from this amazing community!
This page contains affiliate links. Which means that every time you make a purchase of an item you clicked through my website, I receive a percentage from Amazon. It doesn’t cost anything extra to you, but helps my blog! Thanks!
Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil*
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- Place sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir sugar constantly until it melts.
- Make sure to stir non-stop, so the sugar has a chance to melt evenly.
- When you see the very last beat of sugar melting, quickly remove pan from the heat and immediately pour coconut oil and coconut cream in the pan.
- Be very careful doing this step, because the mixture will splatter all over the place, and it will be HOT!
- Stay safe and try to use a larger pan, and a long spoon to stir, so you don’t get burned.
- Some of the sugar will crystalize once you add the coconut oil and coconut cream in.
- Return mixture to the heat, keep stirring and cooking mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Never stop stirring. Stir and cook over medium-low heat until all the sugar has re-melted and mixture is thick and smooth.
- If you would like to make salted caramel, add 1/2 teaspoon, or more to taste, at this point.
- Remove to a heat-proof bowl.
- Let it cool completely before using.
- Caramel will store in the fridge for 15-20 days.
- Simply re-heat it gently before using.
This Caramel Sauce won’t taste like coconut, I promise you, especially if you use refined coconut oil.