Hello friends, today I am showing you how to make this delicious Chocolate Lava Cake for Two recipe. I am also giving you two options on how to cook the lava cakes: baking in the oven, or using the microwave.
This recipe for chocolate lava cake for two takes about 5 minutes to put together. And the results are absolutely incredible, they taste so rich and delicious.
I love serving the lava cakes with ice cream, but check below for other serving options.
How to make Chocolate Lava Cake for Two
Start by melting the chocolate with the butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
Then whisk to combine, add the sugar.
Once the sugar has been added and mixed, add the egg and vanilla.
Finally add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Mix it all and pour onto a ramekin and bake, or microwave.
Now let’s talk about the cooking methods.
You can make the chocolate lava cake for two in the oven or in the microwave.
This recipe makes a small batch of lava cake, usually suitable for two people, but I can see myself eating both servings.
You can use two 6 or 8 oz ramekins for a single batch of these lava cakes.
You can halve the recipe to make only one small ramekin. Simply divide all ingredients by 2. When splitting the egg in two, simply whisk the egg by itself and weigh or measure its volume, then add half of it to the batter.
If you want to bake the cake in larger ramekins, 10 or 12 oz, I recommend doubling the recipe, and baking in two 10 or 12 oz ramekins. A double recipe of these lava cakes is really not that big, it could still be good for 2 people, maybe dinner was super light, like a salad. Or maybe you have a sweet tooth like mine and love yourself some dessert.
Whenever doubling the recipe, have in mind that the baking or cooking time will also be a bit longer.
Oven or Microwave
This chocolate lava cake for two can be made either in the oven, or in the microwave, your choice.
Cooking the cakes in the microwave will be way faster than baking, however, the baked cakes are actually more delicious.
So, if you are really trying to impress your date, or if you have 20 minutes between now and dessert time, go ahead and bake the cakes.
If you want to microwave the cakes, I won’t judge, I do it myself all the time. Because it saves time, and it’s really not THAT much different, once you slap some ice cream on top, it’s all the same.
If you like this recipe, check out more recipes you can make for your valentine:
- White and Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
- No-bake Flan
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Biscoff Cupcakes
- Bavarian Cream Donuts
- Dairy-free Skillet Brownie
Chocolate Lava Cake for Two
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit (or follow instructions below for microwave cooking).
- Mix the butter and the chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate, and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, and whisk until melted and incorporated.
- Add the sugar and mix. You can also use brown sugar.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and mix. Finally add the flour, salt, baking powder, mix to combine.
- Divide the batter between two greased ramekins. You can use a 6 or 8 oz ramekin. If using 10 oz ramekins, double the recipe. You will end up with a larger portion, but it won’t be too huge.
- If baking in the oven, place the ramekins in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes, the top should be set and around the edges.
- If cooking in the microwave, microwave the ramekin for about 45 seconds. I find that cooking for 60 seconds makes the inside less gooey. Between 45 and 50 is the optimal point using my own microwave, and of course it can vary depending on your microwave. So I suggest microwaving the cake for 30 seconds, checking, microwaving for another 15, and then if needed, microwave for 5 second intervals, until the desired doneness is achieved.
- Let the cakes cool down for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: top the cakes with chocolate chips as soon as they are done baking. Serve with ice cream, or dust the top with powdered sugar.