Hello friends! Today I bring another recipe to use up those cracked or failed macaron shells. These Macaron Flour cookies only take a few ingredients, are versatile, and most of all, delicious!
A couple of weeks ago, I posted another recipe using up cracked macaron shells, this Macaron Pie Crust recipe.
It was received super well with my followers and readers because everybody that bakes macarons has a “failed” batch every now and then, specially if you are a beginner still trying to figure things out.
What to do with failed macarons?
Here is one option: make these cookies!
You can also make Macaron Pie Crust, macaron pops (cakesicles), brownies, crumble on top of ice cream, use in a layered dessert.
I plan to show you more recipes like this soon, but for now I only have the Macaron Flour Cookies and the pie crust.
This recipe for Macaron Flour Cookies is super versatile.
You can make different flavors, use different nut butters or chips.
I made three different variations in the video that you can watch on this page or on my YouTube channel.
Flavor 1- peanut butter with chocolate and peanut butter chips.
Flavor 2- almond butter with white chocolate and dark chocolate chips.
Flavor 3- peanut butter with a criss cross pattern on top.
You can add other chips, leave the chips out completely, use Sunflower seed butter, cashew butter, add chopped nuts to the batter, or rainbow sprinkles.
And these Macaron Flour Cookies are super easy to make.
Only one bowl, and a handful of ingredients.
Just don’t throw those macaron shells out anymore if you’ve had a failed batch. You can store failed macaron shells in the freezer for months in an air tight container, and use it for delicious recipes like this one.
And if you want to troubleshoot your macarons to find out why they are cracking, or the feet are spreading out, or why they are coming out lopsided, check out my macaron Troubleshooting Guide.
For more macaron tips and tricks, the science behind macarons, plus all the information you need to improve your macaron game, check out Macaron School.
Macaron Flour Cookies
- 1 cup nut butter 240 grams
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup macaron flour 75 grams
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl whisk together the nut butter and the egg. If the nut butter has been stored in the fridge and it’s super cold, heat it up for just a few seconds in the microwave before mixing it with the egg, to make sure they will incorporate nicely together.
- Once the egg and the nut butter are fully incorporated, add the macaron flour and fold it with a spatula until combined. It will form a thick dough.
- Add the chocolate chips if using and mix.
- Scoop the dough into cookies and place them on a baking sheet 2 inches apart from each other.
- If desired, you can roll the cookie dough between your hands to form smooth balls, this will help the cookies have a better shape as they bake.
- Press the cookies gently with your fingers.
- If making classic peanut butter style cookies, don’t add any chips, and use a fork to form a criss cross pattern on top of the cookies.
- Bake the cookies in the pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until set on top and slightly browned around the edges. The cookies will be pretty soft, if they are hard at this point they will be too dry when they cool down, so bake until they look slightly under done.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool down for 10 minutes at least, they will set and harden up a bit.
- You can also sprinkle more chocolate chips on top of the cookies right after they come out of the oven, that will make the chips melt and stick to the cookies.
- Store the cookies in an air tight container for 1 day at room temperature, then move it to the fridge and store it for up to 4 days.