Layers of dark and white chocolate are combined in this Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe, topped with sprinkles made of crushed candy cane. They are super festive, refreshing, simple to prepare and perfect for the holiday season.
This easy Peppermint Bark recipe is a must for Christmas-time, it doesn’t require many ingredients and you can always switch them to fulfill your liking. Although you usually see this candy during the holidays, there’s no need to wait until Christmas time to enjoy this sweet treat.
The instructions are simple and straight to the point. You only need a few ingredients: dark or semi-sweet chocolate, white chocolate, Lindor peppermint truffles, peppermint extract, candy canes, and whatever you want to decorate the bark with.
I recommend using dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate. You get the best of both worlds and don’t end up with an extremely sweet treat, just perfect.
It’s also important to use a chocolate that you enjoy eating. Usually baking chocolate chips from the grocery store aren’t my favorite to eat so I use Callebaut or Lindt chocolate.
In addition to using white Callebaut chips, I also used White Peppermint Lindor Truffles in this peppermint bark recipe.
We’ll also use peppermint extract and crushed candy cane.
The first step is to melt both types of chocolate, either on the microwave, or on the stove top with a double boiler (just place a bowl over a pan with barely simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water in the pan), be sure to never let the chocolate boil and use a microwave-safe bowl!
A double boiler will take longer for the chocolate to melt, but it’s a good alternative if you don’t have a microwave and that can also help prevent overheating the chocolate.
How to make Peppermint Bark
First pour the melted dark or semi-sweet chocolate on a tray lined with parchment paper or silicone mat, and put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes, or in the freezer for 5, until the chocolate is set.
Then pour the melted white chocolate mixture over it, which consists of chopped white chocolate, melted with the peppermint Lindor truffles, peppermint extract, and crushed candy canes.
After pouring the white chocolate over the dark, top with some mini peppermint bark chocolates by Ghirardelli, sprinkles, crushed candy canes.
For some alternatives, try the addition of mini chocolate drops or jelly beans, kids love them (not just the kids, though). Pour them on top, just like you would do with the crushed candies. Crush up pretzels and pour chocolate on top of them, too. Replace it with chopped nuts and dried fruit for yet another delicious alternative.
Chill your treat and break it into pieces. Make how many batches you like!
What is peppermint bark made of?
The more popular ones are make with semi-sweet chocolate, white chocolate, peppermint extract and crushed peppermint candies or candy canes.
What flavor is peppermint bark?
It tastes quite refreshing and sweet at the same time! You can opt for a more mint-y flavor by putting peppermint extract.
How to cut peppermint bark?
You can use your hands, or a pizza cutter, or a knife.
How to keep peppermint bark from separating?
Make sure the bark has chilled through. Wait for it to come to room temperature slightly before cutting.
More recipes you may like:
Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chopped (340 grams)
- 2 cups white chocolate chopped (340 grams)
- 10 peppermint white chocolate Lindor truffles
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Candy to decorate
- Melt the dark or semi-sweet chocolate in a bowl in the microwave. Microwave the chocolate for 30 second intervals, stopping to stir in between.
- Pour the chocolate over a pan lined with parchment or silicone. Spread it to form a thin layer of about 1/2” thick.
- Place it in the fridge while you melt the white chocolate.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave with the Lindor truffles, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed candy canes to the chocolate and the peppermint extract.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the semi-sweet chocolate. Spread with a spatula.
- Top with candy. I topped the bark with Ghirardelli peppermint bark candy.
- Place the bark in the freezer for about 20 minutes, until solid.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
- You can even freeze bark if you want to, it will last a long time in the fridge or in the freezer.