Seriously! Check out my army of Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes!!
These Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes are the freshest and brightest summer cupcakes!
The cupcakes are lemon flavored, frosted with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting and Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Whenever I want to make Strawberry Frosting, I usually make a strawberry coulis and add to my buttercream or cream cheese frosting. This time, I decided to try something different.
I had a little bag of freeze dried strawberries sitting in my cupboard.
So I just processed the freeze dried strawberries into a fine powder, sifted it and then added the powder to my frosting.
Honestly, I might just stick with this way of making strawberry frosting from now on.
The tanginess and the strawberry flavor just shine through in this frosting. Not to mention that the color is just beautiful.
And anytime you add a coulis or something watery like that to a frosting, you risk making it liquidy and curdled.
Well, no more!
Not to mention how much easier this approach is.
I’m not all for what’s easy in the kitchen. Sometimes, when something is really easy, I think to myself: well, this can’t be good!
I know. I have issues.
People are always looking for the: “Easy Strawberry Frosting Recipe” or “2 Ingredient Strawberry Recipe”, while I’m the total opposite. If there was a title: “Complicated Strawberry Frosting Recipe”, you can be sure that’s the one I’d be clicking on.
But in this case, I have no way out. It’s easy and I like it!!
I invite you to try this frosting, and you won’t regret it. Well, you might regret it, once you find yourself eating frosting with a spoon. (not that it has happened to me. Not me, no way!)
On this same note, please try my Strawberry Scones with Lemon Glaze! Because if you are anything like me, you are addicted to the combo Strawberry and Lemon!!
I also included my favorite brand of cupcake liners and my go-to cupcake tin (I have like a thousand, but this is the best one!). So there, now you have everything you need to make these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes.
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup milk I used whole
- Zest of 2 lemons
Strawberry and Lemonade Cream Cheese Frostings
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 oz freeze dried strawberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs until slightly pale, about 1 minute.
- Add sugar, whisk for another minute.
- Add vanilla and oil. Whisk until combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula.
- Proceed to add milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until combined.
- Add the remaining flour.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan, either greased with butter and then floured, or lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating pans halfway.
Strawberry and Lemonade Cream cheese frostings
- Pulse freeze dried strawberries in processor until they are a fine powder. Put through a sifter to filter out large particles. Set aside.
- Cream cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Add sifted powdered sugar, mix on low until mixed in. Turn speed to medium and beat for a couple minutes. Add vanilla.
- Split frosting in half into two bowls.
- Add zest of lemon to one and add the freeze dried strawberries to the other.
- Cream both separately until well combined.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Spread the lemon cream cheese frosting. Right next to it, spread the strawberry frosting.
- Roll the plastic wrap over itself and insert it into a piping bag fitted with the tip you will be using to pipe on the cupcakes.
- Pipe away! Top with a strawberry and serve!