Easter is almost here and what better way to celebrate this season than by indulging in some delicious Easter Bunny cupcakes! These coconut flavored cupcakes topped with marshmallow bunny ears are perfect for adding some fun to your Easter celebrations.
Fluffy and soft coconut cupcakes, topped with a delicious Coconut Russian Buttercream, that is silky and smooth. These Easter Bunny Cupcakes are brimming with coconut flavor, and are absolutely scrumptious.
This post is sponsored by Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk.
The Easter bunny cupcakes are perfect for any celebration!
Whether you are bringing them to a festive family dinner or a gathering with friends, these cupcakes will put a smile on everyone’s face.
In addition to their tastiness, the presentation of these cupcakes is absolutely adorable. Topped with little bunny ears made out of marshmallows, and cute pink noses, they’re almost too cute to eat!
Fluffy Coconut Cupcakes
Making the Coconut Cupcakes is super easy. The ingredients needed to make the cupcakes are:
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut extract
- coconut cream
- coconut flakes
Beat the butter, then add sugar and vegetable oil.
We use both butter and oil in the cupcake batter, the oil helps the cupcakes stay super moist, and the butter adds delicious flavor and a sturdy texture.
Beat until the mixture is creamy and lightened in color.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing one egg completely before adding the next one. Then add vanilla and coconut extract.
Don’t skip out on the coconut extract if possible, it helps with the delicious coconut taste.
Follow with the coconut cream, and mix to combine.
Coconut cream is the thick kind, not like coconut milk. It can be found in the international food aisle, and usually comes in a can. It’s thick and creamy, and not liquid.
Then add the dry ingredients, and the shredded coconut.
Bake the cupcakes until they are golden, and when lightly touched, they spring right back.
Let the cupcakes cool down before you frost them.
Coconut Russian Buttercream
To make the Coconut Russian Buttercream, start with the butter at the right temperature.
The butter must be between 67 to 72 Fahrenheit. If the butter is too cold, the buttercream will be lumpy.
And if the butter is too warm, the buttercream won’t firm up.
Beat the butter for about 5 minutes until it’s creamy and fluffy, and doubled in volume.
Then add the sweetened condensed milk, coconut cream, and coconut extract.
Beat again until the frosting comes together and becomes firm and smooth.
If the frosting is soupy or too soft, it’s probably because you didn’t beat enough, or because the butter wasn’t at the right temperature.
In that case, a good way to troubleshoot Russian Buttercream is to place the bowl with frosting in the fridge for about 5 to 10 minutes. After that, try to beat the buttercream again with the mixer. If it still doesn’t come together, try placing it in the fridge for a bit longer, and try whipping again after that.
Once the frosting is made and the cupcakes have cooled down, it’s time to assemble the Easter Bunny Cupcakes.
How to make Easter Bunny Cupcakes
To assemble the Easter Bunny Cupcakes, you will need:
- shredded coconut
- colorful sanding sugar
- heart sprinkles
- black icing
Slice the marshmallows in half diagonally. The center part will be sticky, dip it in colorful sanding sugar.
There you have your bunny ears.
Then it’s time to decorate the cupcakes.
Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
Dip the frosted cupcake in shredded coconut. Then top it with the marshmallow ears. You will have to dip the bottom of the ear in frosting to make it stick to the cupcake.
To make the face, I used a heart sprinkle for the nose, and black icing for the eyes. Use store-bought icing because it will make it so much easier.
Not only were these Easter Bunny Cupcakes absolutely delicious, they were also super cute and fun! And they are sure to be a hit with anyone who tries them!
If you like this Easter Bunny Cupcake recipe, check out these other recipes:
- Coconut Cupcakes
- Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies
- Brazilian Carrot Cupcakes
- Cheesecake Filled Easter Eggs
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cannoli Cupcakes
If you like cupcakes, check out my book Fantastic Filled Cupcakes!
What’s great about these cupcakes is that they’re quick and easy to make, yet they are still impressive with their cute bunny ears! All in all, attempting these cupcakes will definitely add some fun to your Easter celebrations. Enjoy baking, and of course, eating your delicious Easter Bunny cupcakes!
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 160 grams
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened 56 grams
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil 60 ml
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut cream 120 grams
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut 30 grams
Russian Coconut Buttercream
- 2 cups unsalted butter 453 grams
- 1-14 oz can of Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk 396 grams
- 1/2 cup coconut cream 120 grams
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 14 marshmallows
- 1/4 cup colorful sanding sugar or sprinkles
- Heart sprinkles
- Black icing
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF, and line 14 cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Next, sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed, for about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat for another 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each egg until combined before adding the next.
- Add the vanilla extract and coconut extract, and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut cream in and mix.
- Now add the flour mixture and the shredded coconut to the bowl and mix to combine until the batter is smooth, lump free, and you see no more dry ingredients in.
- Pour the batter evenly onto the cupcake tins, filling about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for about 18 minutes. Start checking if the cupcakes are baked at the 15 minute mark, and keep baking and checking as necessary.
- To see if the cupcakes are ready, gently press with your finger on top of the cupcakes, and if they spring right back, that means they are done baking.
- Let the cupcakes cool down before filling and frosting.
Russian Coconut Buttercream
- Make sure the butter is at the appropriate temperature, between 68 to 72ºF.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer, at medium-high speed, for 5 minutes.
- With the mixer off add the Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, coconut cream, and coconut extract.
- Beat until incorporated and smooth for a few minutes, until it becomes a thick frosting.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag lined with a large round tip.
- Pipe a mound of frosting on top of the cupcakes, dip each cupcake in a bowl with shredded coconut so the coconut sticks to the frosting.
- Slice the marshmallows in half diagonally. Dip the inside part of the marshmallows, which will be sticky, in a bowl with colorful sanding sugar.
- Dip the bottom of each marshmallow in the frosting so you can stick it on top of the cupcake, placing one marshmallow in each side, to form the ears of the bunny.
- Stick a heart sprinkle in the center to form the nose.
- Pipe the eyes with black icing.