Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce are my lastest creation.
Crispy Tofu, a delicious vegan peanut sauce, and some veggies to accompany.
While I am not vegan, I do have a history with vegetarianism. And I enjoy cooking vegan food.
I was a vegetarian for most of my life, and after a couple year hiatus, nowadays I eat predominantly vegetarian, with some seafood in the mix.
So, often times, my lunch looks like something like this.
Growing up a vegetarian, I never really liked tofu. But now I know it’s because the couple times I’ve tried it, it wasn’t cooked right.
I will tell you how I like my tofu. All you need is a frying pan with a layer of fat of choice, sizzling. Slice pressed tofu, sprinkle salt over it. Add to hot pan. Flip. Fry a bit more. Remove. Eat. Done! Alternatively, you can simply bake them too. Crisp them up in the oven!
It’s seriously so delicious!!!
And the best thing is to eat these tacos with homemade tortillas. They’re easy to make and so rewarding. Check out my recipes for homemade tortilla: Flour Tortillas, Spinach Tortillas, or Sourdough Tortillas (aka my favorite).
If you aren’t a fan of tofu, give it a chance. Make it like this! It’s simple, fast and delicious! You won’t be sorry!
This is the second post on Peanut Butter Week, here at Pies and Tacos. Our first post was this PB&J cake.
Vegan Tofu Tacos with Peanut Sauce
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 14 oz block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tortillas
- Mix all ingredients but the almond milk in a small blender. Blend until combined. Slowly add the almond milk in until you’ve obtained a thick consistency. Depending on what kind of PB you’re using, it will need more or less milk.
- ps. I’ve used rice vinegar instead of lime juice also, and it turned out very delicious!
- Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Bring it to room temperature before serving it.
- Remove tofu from packaging. Place it on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels. Cover tofu with another double layer of paper towel. Place a board or a flat plate on top of tofu and put some weight (some heavy canned good or books, get creative!) on top to press down on tofu. (or you can use a tofu press)
- Let tofu sit there for about 30 min.
- Drain tofu.
- Slice or cut into chunks.
- Sprinkle salt over tofu pieces.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add tofu slices and fry them for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
- Keep an eye on the heat so it doesn’t burn the tofu by frying them too fast.
- Remove tofu pieces to a paper lined with paper towels, to soak up the extra grease.
To assemble tacos
- This recipe will make about 4-6 tacos, depending on how much tofu you love on your tacos.
- Layer some cabbage or other greens on the bottom of the tortilla. Spread some cooked peas or other vegetables over. Place tofu on top.
- Drizzle with sauce. Enjoy!